Way to Create Better Meta Descriptions
There are some new recommendations released by Google regarding how to create better Meta description. Furthermore, Google is also working to improve Meta descriptions with the help of an update that focuses on the outlook of the Meta descriptions.
The way Google generates Meta descriptions
The process of generating Meta description against a search query at Google’s end is associated with the extraction of most relevant part of information from the content. In case the content doesn’t have relevant information against a query, Google then refers to the Meta description which would be manually written.
In the past, if Google would find itself unable to get relevant information from a page with no Meta description manually written either, it would then pull information from the DMOZ. Now, since the DMOZ is closed, Google no more relies on the web directory to generate snippets.
With that said, it has now become more important for the site owners to think smartly in order to write Meta descriptions. Here, it would be worth describing what Google now considers to be a better Meta Description.
“Good meta descriptions are short blurbs that describe accurately the content of the page. They are like a pitch that convinces the user that the page is exactly what they’re looking for.”
One of the great problems here is that people usually ignore to create the Meta Descriptions at all. And many people create Meta descriptions but they do not pay much attention to it as they copy same Meta description across all of the pages of the site. Other issues include creation of off-topic and full-of-spam Meta descriptions which serve more harm than good.
Technically, there is no limit on the length of description that you can write. However, Google shortens the description according to the device the description is being viewed on.
Described below is a Meta Description checklist that you need to consider while creating Meta descriptions as a part of your effective SEO campaign.
- Make sure that the most important keywords of your content are included in the description.
- Always write readable descriptions that smartly describe the content of the page. Although, addition of keywords is recommended, avoid keyword stuffing.
- Remember, the Meta Description mainly serves as an advert of the webpage. So make it relevant to the information written in the webpage.
- Although, there is no limit of the characters you can put in a Meta description, keeping the description of 135 – 160 characters’ length is a general recommendation.
- Make sure that every page of your website has its own Meta description. With that said, never duplicate a Meta description across several pages of your website.
- To make the description more attractive, you can use markup schema to make the rich snippet of the Meta description.